Axis Customer Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:27 pm 

I've got an AXIS C Eye LVE Network Camera (Firmware version 6.15.5.2; Web version 0.8.1-13) from which I'm trying to get an RTSP stream. It is listening for RTSP on port 554, and it clearly is accessible for RTSP because I can do an OPTIONS command (via telnet, if that's significant) without authentication:

Code:
OPTIONS rtsp://10.255.18.18/axis-media/media.amp RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 2

RTSP/1.0 200 OK
CSeq: 2
Public: OPTIONS, DESCRIBE, GET_PARAMETER, PAUSE, PLAY, SETUP, SET_PARAMETER, TEARDOWN
Server: GStreamer RTSP server
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 14:07:26 GMT

However, when I try a DESCRIBE on the same URL, I get a 403 Forbidden:

Code:
DESCRIBE rtsp://10.255.18.18/axis-media/media.amp RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 3

RTSP/1.0 403 Forbidden
CSeq: 3
Server: GStreamer RTSP server
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 14:09:35 GMT

VLC also fails to play the stream. Ffmpeg fails to play or save the stream, the verbose output including:

Code:
rtsp://u:p@10.255.21.137/axis-media/media.amp: Server returned 403 Forbidden (access denied)

As can be seen, I've provided credentials (valid, albeit overly simple ones).

I had a 1.5 hour webchat with AXIS a couple of days ago, the upshot of which is that RTSP only works from the AXIS Companion software. However, I've run AXIS Companion and have viewed H264 streams whilst having Wireshark watching port 554 and there is literally no traffic to or from that port from AXIS Companion, which leads me to deduce that the AXIS Companion software doesn't even use RTSP. (I do see traffic when I try to access it from a third part client, though.)

So I don't understand why the port is open, with the GStreamer RTSP server listening on it, yet it apparently isn't used by anything!

So I suppose my question is: how come I can do an OPTIONS command but not a DESCRIBE? Is there perhaps some unusual type of authentication that I can use to allow access?

A few notes:
  • I know that the web page says "AXIS Companion IP cameras are supported only by AXIS Companion video management software and mobile apps for iOS and Android devices." but I can successfully retrieve still images from the camera using third party software, so why not RTSP H264/Zipstream video too?
  • I've seen it suggested elsewhere on this forum that only allowing RTSP to be accessed from AXIS software is a differentiator of some kind, but I can't work out why AXIS would want to differentiate themselves by saying "we're the company that makes your life more difficult by not supporting RTSP from third party clients"!