Axis Customer Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:47 pm 

I'm looking for recommendations for a NAS that can withstand Kansas weather inside a metal box. This will be mounted on a pole in the middle of a feedlot. This will mean it will be exposed to the full spectrum of Kansas cold and heat. I'm looking reviews from experience or devices that are partnered with axis.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 am 

It is the cabinet that you have to look into not the NAS.

A cabinet that can regulate the internal temperature to within the heat and cold and dust.

Even if the NAS survived the extreme weather, the other equipment like switch may not.

Surviving the extreme weather, also does not guarantee video stream for recording will not drop.

I have seen that with a hot POE switch a on a simple NAS with a single camera recording will drop intermittently in extreme hot day (45 - 55 degC).

If you are interested in further discussion, please contact me via Skype @ Cheng.Xin.SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 am 

We are running tplink poe switches in about 5 camera boxes this way for about the past 3 years and haven't had much trouble. I've only had maybe 2 switches fail and they are extremely inexpensive to replace. The biggest thing is getting the storage in the box. A temperature controlled box in these situations without a structure nearby in which to house it would be cumbersome for what we are doing. I'm looking into setups such as this https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=215 with industrial ssd, possibly even with raid abilities.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 am 

Pretty retrictive then. All the best.

Hopefully this QNAP model does not have the quota issue with Axis product than I have seen in their entry level models.

This is generally the issue when recording to third party NAS.